4.5 Canada Company 64 147 2.3 Geology. Bishop Strachan School A spear-like tower is between a white-domed structure and small buildings on the left and increasingly taller buildings to the right in the foreground is a lake with a few visible buoys and the background is a deep blue sky with a few clouds near the horizon Skyline of Downtown Toronto the city is the financial anchor of the Golden Horseshoe A tree-lined highway is in the foreground angled diagonally from bottom right to middle left of the image Buildings are in the centre and the background is a sky meeting rolling hills in the distance Hamilton lies at the western edge of Lake Ontario A spike tower with a pod is lit along its length on the right Other buildings sit on the right while a river and large waterfall occupies the left Niagara Falls is a major tourist destination situated at the southern portion of the Golden Horseshoe Municipalities; 16 Canada Mitch Marner RW R 22 2015 Markham Ontario 3.6 Ownership CONCACAF Champions League Golden Ball Further information: Canadian soccer clubs in international competitions 9 Images Main article: Line 6 Finch West. . Toronto Ontario Canada Business directory English 1.2.1 Independent The Toronto Public School Board (TPSB) was created in 1847 to oversee elementary education in Toronto. However the date of creation of the board is also given as 1850 as this was when trustee elections under a ward system started. Legislation toward the creation of local public school boards began with the School Act of 1844 which stipulated municipal contributions toward the salaries of teachers the Toronto Public School Board continued to govern the city's elementary schools until 1904 when following a city referendum it was merged with the Collegiate Institute Board which oversaw the city's secondary schools and the Technical School Board which oversaw the Toronto Technical School to form the Toronto Board of Education Six trustees were appointed to the original 1847 board by the municipal council of Toronto to serve with the mayor the board was composed entirely of white men until the election of the first female trustee Augusta Stowe-Gullen in 1892 the board was created after the passage of the Common School Act of 1846 spearheaded by Egerton Ryerson architect of both publicly funded schooling and the residential school system the Act also called for the creation of a provincial normal school which would become the Toronto Normal School Prior to the 1846 Common School Act individual schools were governed by boards created under the Grammar School Act of 1807 and the Common Schools Act of 1816. Like all boards of education at the time the Toronto Public School Board was responsible for raising money to fund schools in addition to grants provided by the provincial government However they were not empowered to make these levies compulsory until the passage of the Common School Act in 1850 brought on in part by the closure of schools in Toronto in 1848 due to lack of funds. This act also allowed for the creation of separate schools boards in Ontario including racially segregated schools in Toronto the act allowed for the creation of a Catholic school board which would eventually become today's Toronto Catholic District School Board While elementary schooling across the province was not made free by law until 1871 the 1850 Common School Act allowed for individual boards to entirely fund their schools through public funds the Toronto Public School Board voted to do so in 1851 making elementary schooling in the city free Minutes from the first meetings of the Toronto Public School Board have been preserved by the Toronto District School Board Museum and Archives Schools of the Toronto Public School Board; .
. Main article: Tourism in Toronto, Toronto Ontario Canada Business directory 5 Recovery of stolen vehicles 6.2.1 Currency 1.2.1 Independent The construction of Union Station in 1858 dramatically increased commerce as well as the number of immigrants Toronto grew rapidly in the late 19th century the population increasing from 30,000 in 1851 to 56,000 in 1871 86,400 in 1881 and 181,000 in 1891 the total urbanized population was not counted as it is today to include the greater area those just outside the city limits made for a significantly higher population the 1891 figure also included population counted after recent annexations of many smaller adjacent towns such as Parkdale Brockton Village West Toronto East Toronto and others Immigration high birth rates and influx from the surrounding rural population accounted for much of this growth although immigration had slowed substantially by the 1880s if compared to the generation prior Rail lines came to the waterfront harbour area in the 1850s a planned "Esplanade" land-fill project to create a promenade along the harbour instead became a new right-of-way for the rail lines which extended to new wharves on the harbour Three railway companies built lines to Toronto: the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) the Great Western Railway and Northern Railway of Canada the GTR built the first Union Station in 1858 in the downtown area the advent of the railway dramatically increased the numbers of immigrants arriving and commerce as had the Lake Ontario steamers and schooners entering the port the railway lands would dominate the central waterfront for the next 100 years in 1873 GTR built a second Union Station at the same location Horse-drawn streetcars were first installed in the city in 1861 the system continued to expand into the present-day Toronto streetcar system New rail transportation networks were built in Toronto including an extensive streetcar network in the city (still operational) plus long-distance railways and radial lines One radial line ran mostly along Yonge Street for about 80 km to Lake Simcoe and allowed day trips to its beaches At the time Toronto's own beaches were far too polluted to use largely a side effect of dumping garbage directly in the lake Other radial lines connected to suburbs As the city grew it became bounded by the Humber River to the west and the Don River to the east Several smaller rivers and creeks in the downtown area were routed into culverts and sewers and the land filled in above them including both Garrison Creek and Taddle Creek the latter running through the University of Toronto Much of Castle Frank Brook became covered during this time At the time they were being used as open sewers and were becoming a serious health problem the re-configuration of the Don River mouth to make a ship channel and lakeshore reclamation project occurred in the 1880s again largely driven by sanitary concerns and establishing effective port commerce Toronto had two medical schools both independent: Trinity Medical School and the Toronto School of Medicine (TSM) During the 1880s the TSM added instructors expanded its curriculum and focused on clinical instruction Enrollments grew at both schools Critics found proprietary schools lacking especially for their failure to offer sufficient instruction in the basic sciences in 1887 the TSM became the medical faculty of the University of Toronto increasing its emphasis on research within the medical curriculum Trinity realized that its survival depended as well on close ties to basic science and in 1904 it also merged into the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine Crystal Palace hosted the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition in 1879 the event later grew to become the Canadian National Exhibition Toronto modernized and professionalized its public services in the late 19th and early 20th centuries No service was changed more dramatically than the Toronto Police the introduction of emergency telephone call boxes linked to a central dispatcher plus bicycles motorcycles and automobiles shifted the patrolman's duties from passively walking the beat to fast reaction to reported incidents as well as handling automobile traffic. After the Great Fire of 1849 Toronto improved its fire code This was followed by an expansion of the fire services and the eventual formation of Toronto Fire Services in 1874 In 1879 the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition was held a provincial Agricultural Fair was held in Ontario on a rotating basis since the 1850s and after Toronto held the 1878 exhibition at King and Shaw streets it wanted to hold the fair again the request was turned down and the Industrial Exhibition was organized the City arranged a lease of the garrison commons and moved its Crystal Palace building to the site Eventually the garrison commons became taken over by the Exhibition and the annual exhibition continues today as the Canadian National Exhibition the grounds became Exhibition Place and hold sports venues exhibition venues trade and convention space used year-round Immigration.
Optimum Health Physical Therapy