; A *Parts of Quebec (including Gatineau) are included in the Ottawa CMA the population of the Ottawa CMA in both provinces is shown Ten largest municipalities by population. 3.2 Since 1900 Linden School 8 United Kingdom Hampshire United Kingdom, Songs and slogans St Lawrence's J.G Beard; Wm Gooderham Toronto Wolfpack RFL Championship Rugby league Lamport Stadium 2017 1 (in 2017 League 1).
9.2 CONCACAF Champions League, Main article: Presbyterian Church in Canada, 3.1 Family Compact Democratic participation and civil society 56.3 62.1 62.1 65.9 76.6 323.0. . 6.2 Third incursion August 1814 three Deputy City Managers (including one as Chief Financial Officer), The construction of Union Station in 1858 dramatically increased commerce as well as the number of immigrants Toronto grew rapidly in the late 19th century the population increasing from 30,000 in 1851 to 56,000 in 1871 86,400 in 1881 and 181,000 in 1891 the total urbanized population was not counted as it is today to include the greater area those just outside the city limits made for a significantly higher population the 1891 figure also included population counted after recent annexations of many smaller adjacent towns such as Parkdale Brockton Village West Toronto East Toronto and others Immigration high birth rates and influx from the surrounding rural population accounted for much of this growth although immigration had slowed substantially by the 1880s if compared to the generation prior Rail lines came to the waterfront harbour area in the 1850s a planned "Esplanade" land-fill project to create a promenade along the harbour instead became a new right-of-way for the rail lines which extended to new wharves on the harbour Three railway companies built lines to Toronto: the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) the Great Western Railway and Northern Railway of Canada the GTR built the first Union Station in 1858 in the downtown area the advent of the railway dramatically increased the numbers of immigrants arriving and commerce as had the Lake Ontario steamers and schooners entering the port the railway lands would dominate the central waterfront for the next 100 years in 1873 GTR built a second Union Station at the same location Horse-drawn streetcars were first installed in the city in 1861 the system continued to expand into the present-day Toronto streetcar system New rail transportation networks were built in Toronto including an extensive streetcar network in the city (still operational) plus long-distance railways and radial lines One radial line ran mostly along Yonge Street for about 80 km to Lake Simcoe and allowed day trips to its beaches At the time Toronto's own beaches were far too polluted to use largely a side effect of dumping garbage directly in the lake Other radial lines connected to suburbs As the city grew it became bounded by the Humber River to the west and the Don River to the east Several smaller rivers and creeks in the downtown area were routed into culverts and sewers and the land filled in above them including both Garrison Creek and Taddle Creek the latter running through the University of Toronto Much of Castle Frank Brook became covered during this time At the time they were being used as open sewers and were becoming a serious health problem the re-configuration of the Don River mouth to make a ship channel and lakeshore reclamation project occurred in the 1880s again largely driven by sanitary concerns and establishing effective port commerce Toronto had two medical schools both independent: Trinity Medical School and the Toronto School of Medicine (TSM) During the 1880s the TSM added instructors expanded its curriculum and focused on clinical instruction Enrollments grew at both schools Critics found proprietary schools lacking especially for their failure to offer sufficient instruction in the basic sciences in 1887 the TSM became the medical faculty of the University of Toronto increasing its emphasis on research within the medical curriculum Trinity realized that its survival depended as well on close ties to basic science and in 1904 it also merged into the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine Crystal Palace hosted the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition in 1879 the event later grew to become the Canadian National Exhibition Toronto modernized and professionalized its public services in the late 19th and early 20th centuries No service was changed more dramatically than the Toronto Police the introduction of emergency telephone call boxes linked to a central dispatcher plus bicycles motorcycles and automobiles shifted the patrolman's duties from passively walking the beat to fast reaction to reported incidents as well as handling automobile traffic. After the Great Fire of 1849 Toronto improved its fire code This was followed by an expansion of the fire services and the eventual formation of Toronto Fire Services in 1874 In 1879 the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition was held a provincial Agricultural Fair was held in Ontario on a rotating basis since the 1850s and after Toronto held the 1878 exhibition at King and Shaw streets it wanted to hold the fair again the request was turned down and the Industrial Exhibition was organized the City arranged a lease of the garrison commons and moved its Crystal Palace building to the site Eventually the garrison commons became taken over by the Exhibition and the annual exhibition continues today as the Canadian National Exhibition the grounds became Exhibition Place and hold sports venues exhibition venues trade and convention space used year-round Immigration. . ! . . Main article: Ryerson University Library, Core Niagara Region 447,888 Um al-Qura Islamic School.