On February 12 1998 MLGL purchased the Toronto Raptors a National Basketball Association franchise and the arena the Raptors were building from Allan Slaight and Scotiabank. With the acquisition MLGL was renamed to Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) acting as the parent company of the two teams. Larry Tanenbaum was a driving force in the acquisition having bought a bought a 12.5 percent stake in Maple Leaf Gardens Limited (MLGL) in 1996 The intersection of a roadway with a large multi-sport arena in the background. Toronto Prep School Expansion Toronto Ontario Canada Business directory, 184.108.40.206 English 13 External links As part of the 1763 Treaty of Paris which ended the Seven Years' War global conflict and the French and Indian War in North America Great Britain retained control over the former New France which had been defeated in the French and Indian War the British had won control after Fort Niagara had surrendered in 1759 and Montreal capitulated in 1760 and the British under Robert Rogers took formal control of the Great Lakes region in 1760. Fort Michilimackinac was occupied by Roger's forces in 1761 The territories of contemporary southern Ontario and southern Quebec were initially maintained as the single Province of Quebec as it had been under the French From 1763 to 1791 the Province of Quebec maintained its French language cultural behavioural expectations practices and laws the British passed the Quebec Act in 1774 which expanded the Quebec colony's authority to include part of the Indian Reserve to the west (i.e parts of southern Ontario) and other western territories south of the Great Lakes including much of what would become the United States' Northwest Territory including the modern states of Illinois Indiana Michigan Ohio Wisconsin and parts of Minnesota After the American War of Independence ended in 1783 Britain retained control of the area north of the Ohio River the official boundaries remained undefined until 1795 and the Jay Treaty the British authorities encouraged the movement of people to this area from the United States offering free land to encourage population growth for settlers the head of the family received 100 acres (40 ha) and 50 acres (20 ha) per family member and soldiers received larger grants. These settlers are known as United Empire Loyalists and were primarily English-speaking Protestants the first townships (Royal and Cataraqui) along the St Lawrence and eastern Lake Ontario were laid out in 1784 populated mainly with decommissioned soldiers and their families "Upper Canada" became a political entity on 26 December 1791 with the Parliament of Great Britain's passage of the Constitutional Act of 1791 the act divided the Province of Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada but did not yet specify official borders for Upper Canada the division was effected so that Loyalist American settlers and British immigrants in Upper Canada could have English laws and institutions and the French-speaking population of Lower Canada could maintain French civil law and the Catholic religion the first lieutenant-governor was John Graves Simcoe.[circular reference]! 4 Midfielder Michael Bradley (DP) United States, 9 Record 6 Infrastructure Christian, The construction of Union Station in 1858 dramatically increased commerce as well as the number of immigrants Toronto grew rapidly in the late 19th century the population increasing from 30,000 in 1851 to 56,000 in 1871 86,400 in 1881 and 181,000 in 1891 the total urbanized population was not counted as it is today to include the greater area those just outside the city limits made for a significantly higher population the 1891 figure also included population counted after recent annexations of many smaller adjacent towns such as Parkdale Brockton Village West Toronto East Toronto and others Immigration high birth rates and influx from the surrounding rural population accounted for much of this growth although immigration had slowed substantially by the 1880s if compared to the generation prior Rail lines came to the waterfront harbour area in the 1850s a planned "Esplanade" land-fill project to create a promenade along the harbour instead became a new right-of-way for the rail lines which extended to new wharves on the harbour Three railway companies built lines to Toronto: the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) the Great Western Railway and Northern Railway of Canada the GTR built the first Union Station in 1858 in the downtown area the advent of the railway dramatically increased the numbers of immigrants arriving and commerce as had the Lake Ontario steamers and schooners entering the port the railway lands would dominate the central waterfront for the next 100 years in 1873 GTR built a second Union Station at the same location Horse-drawn streetcars were first installed in the city in 1861 the system continued to expand into the present-day Toronto streetcar system New rail transportation networks were built in Toronto including an extensive streetcar network in the city (still operational) plus long-distance railways and radial lines One radial line ran mostly along Yonge Street for about 80 km to Lake Simcoe and allowed day trips to its beaches At the time Toronto's own beaches were far too polluted to use largely a side effect of dumping garbage directly in the lake Other radial lines connected to suburbs As the city grew it became bounded by the Humber River to the west and the Don River to the east Several smaller rivers and creeks in the downtown area were routed into culverts and sewers and the land filled in above them including both Garrison Creek and Taddle Creek the latter running through the University of Toronto Much of Castle Frank Brook became covered during this time At the time they were being used as open sewers and were becoming a serious health problem the re-configuration of the Don River mouth to make a ship channel and lakeshore reclamation project occurred in the 1880s again largely driven by sanitary concerns and establishing effective port commerce Toronto had two medical schools both independent: Trinity Medical School and the Toronto School of Medicine (TSM) During the 1880s the TSM added instructors expanded its curriculum and focused on clinical instruction Enrollments grew at both schools Critics found proprietary schools lacking especially for their failure to offer sufficient instruction in the basic sciences in 1887 the TSM became the medical faculty of the University of Toronto increasing its emphasis on research within the medical curriculum Trinity realized that its survival depended as well on close ties to basic science and in 1904 it also merged into the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine Crystal Palace hosted the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition in 1879 the event later grew to become the Canadian National Exhibition Toronto modernized and professionalized its public services in the late 19th and early 20th centuries No service was changed more dramatically than the Toronto Police the introduction of emergency telephone call boxes linked to a central dispatcher plus bicycles motorcycles and automobiles shifted the patrolman's duties from passively walking the beat to fast reaction to reported incidents as well as handling automobile traffic. After the Great Fire of 1849 Toronto improved its fire code This was followed by an expansion of the fire services and the eventual formation of Toronto Fire Services in 1874 In 1879 the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition was held a provincial Agricultural Fair was held in Ontario on a rotating basis since the 1850s and after Toronto held the 1878 exhibition at King and Shaw streets it wanted to hold the fair again the request was turned down and the Industrial Exhibition was organized the City arranged a lease of the garrison commons and moved its Crystal Palace building to the site Eventually the garrison commons became taken over by the Exhibition and the annual exhibition continues today as the Canadian National Exhibition the grounds became Exhibition Place and hold sports venues exhibition venues trade and convention space used year-round Immigration. The Normal School was founded by Egerton Ryerson in 1847 as the first teacher-training institution in the province it moved into a new building in 1852 on a parcel of semi-rural land eventually bounded by Gerrard Victoria Gould and Church streets In 1852 at the core of the present main campus the historic St James Square Egerton Ryerson founded Ontario's first teacher training facility the Toronto Normal School it also housed the Department of Education and the Museum of Natural History and Fine Arts which became the Royal Ontario Museum An agricultural laboratory on the site led to the founding of the Ontario Agricultural College and the University of Guelph St James Square went through various other educational uses before housing a namesake of its original founder Egerton Ryerson was a leading educator politician and Methodist minister. He is known as the father of Ontario's public school system. He is also a founder of the first publishing company in Canada in 1829 the Methodist Book and Publishing House which was renamed the Ryerson Press in 1919 and today is part of McGraw-Hill Ryerson a Canadian publisher of educational and professional books which still bears Egerton Ryerson's name for its Canadian operations Advances in science and technology brought on by World War II and continued Canadian industrialization previously interrupted by the Great Depression created a demand for a more highly trained population Howard Hillen Kerr was given control of nine Ontario Training and Re-establishment centres to accomplish this His vision of what these institutions would do was broader than what others were suggesting in 1943 he visited the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and was convinced Canada could develop its own MIT over one hundred years Along the way such an institution could respond to the society's needs When the Province approved the idea of technical institutes in 1946 it proposed to found several it turned out all but one would be special purpose schools such as the mining school Only the Toronto retraining centre which became the Ryerson Institute of Technology in 1948 would become a multi-program campus Kerr's future MIT of Canada The Toronto Training and Re-establishment Institute was created in 1945 on the former site of the Toronto Normal School at St James Square bounded by Gerrard Church Yonge and Gould the Gothic-Romanesque building was designed by architects Thomas Ridout and Frederick William Cumberland in 1852 the site had been used as a Royal Canadian Air Force training facility during World War II the institute was a joint venture of the federal and provincial government to train ex-servicemen and women for re-entry into civilian life The Ryerson Institute of Technology was founded in 1948 inheriting the staff and facilities of the Toronto Training and Re-establishment Institute in 1966 it became the Ryerson Polytechnical Institute In 1971 provincial legislation was amended to permit Ryerson to grant university degrees accredited by provincial government legislation and by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). That year it also became a member of the Council of Ontario Universities (COU) in 1992 Ryerson became Toronto's second school of engineering to receive accreditation from the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) the following year (1993) Ryerson formally became a University via an Act of the Ontario Legislature In 1993 Ryerson received approval to also grant graduate degrees (master's and doctorates) the same year the Board of Governors changed the institution's name to Ryerson Polytechnic University to reflect a stronger emphasis on research associated with graduate programs and its expansion from being a university offering undergraduate degrees Students occupied the university's administration offices in March 1997 protesting escalating tuition hikes In June 2001 the school assumed its name as Ryerson University Today Ryerson University offers programs in aerospace chemical civil mechanical industrial electrical biomedical and computer engineering the B.Eng biomedical engineering program is the first stand-alone undergraduate biomedical engineering program in Canada the university is also one of only two Canadian universities to offer a program in aerospace engineering accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) Organization.