! ! Business Technology Management Main article: Geography of Toronto Ambox current red.svg Crawford Adventist Academy London District Grammar School latter became London Central Secondary School. 3 Functions The American naval squadron exchange fire with Fort York during the Battle of York in April 1813 the American landing is depicted to the west (bottom left of image) On 27 April 1813 American forces led by Zebulon Pike attacked York After the British-Native force failed to prevent the American landings (in present-day Parkdale) British forces ordered a withdrawal realizing that defence was impossible Upon their departure British forces rigged Fort York's gunpowder magazine to explode it exploded as the American forces were about to enter the fort killing Pike and a contingent of his men in the following days American forces sacked the town and burned a number of properties including the Parliament Buildings the town remained occupied until May 8 when American forces departed the settlement In addition to the Battle of York two other American incursions occurred in the town during the war the second incursion occurred several months later on 31 July An American squadron originally planned to attack British forces at Burlington Heights; although finding the British too well-entrenched in the Heights opted to raid York instead the landings at York went unopposed with most York's garrison moving west to defend Burlington Heights American forces raided the town's food and military stores as well as destroyed several military structures before departing the same night The third incursion into York occurred a year later in August 1814 on 6 August 1814 an American naval squadron arrived outside of York's harbour dispatching USS Lady of the Lake to enter the town's harbour in an effort to gauge its defences. After the ship briefly exchanged fire with the improved Fort York built several hundred metres to the west from its original position the USS Lady of the Lake withdrew and returned to the American squadron outside the harbour American forces did not attempt a landing during this incursion although remained outside the town's harbour for the following three days before departing Post-War of 1812. Main article: Politics of Ontario Belleville Senators Ice hockey AHL Belleville CAA Arena, First Nations fishing camps were established around the waterways of Toronto as early as 1,000 BCE by 500 CE up to 500 people lived along each of the three major rivers of Toronto (Don Humber and Rouge River). Early on First Nations communities had developed trails and water routes in the Toronto area These led from northern and western Canada to the Gulf of Mexico One trail known as the "Toronto Passage" followed the Humber River northward as an important overland shortcut between Lake Ontario and the upper Great Lakes A map of the region with Ganatsekwyagon and other areas highlighted along the Rouge Trail c 1673 Teiaiagon is shown west Ganatsekwyagon New crops including corn sunflowers and tobacco were introduced into the area from the south around 600 CE the introduction of these crops saw large societal shifts in the area; including a change in diet and the formation of semi-permanent villages in order to farm these crops. Inhabitants of these semi-permanent villages moved out during parts of the year to hunt fish and gather other goods to supplement their farming The earliest Iroquoian settlement in Toronto occurred around 900 CE. Iroquoian villages during this period were located on high fortified grounds with access to wetlands and waterways to facilitate hunting fishing trade and military operations. Iroquoian villages typically lasted a period of 10 to 20 years before its inhabitants relocated to a new site Several Huron villages dating back to the 1200s have been excavated in Toronto including a Huron ossuary in Scarborough From the 1300s to the 1500s the Iroquoian inhabitants of the area migrated north of Toronto joining the developing Huron confederacy. During this period the Huron confederacy used Toronto as a hinterland for hunting with the Toronto Passage continuing to see use as a north-south route Although Europeans did not visit Southern Ontario in the 16th century European goods had begun to make its way into the region as early as the late-1500s. During the 17th century nearly half of Southern Ontario's First Nations population was wiped out from as a result of the transmission of communicable diseases between Europeans and First Nations groups the population loss along with the desire to secure furs for trade saw the Iroquois Confederacy to the south defeat the Huron inhabitants of the area. Although some Huron refugees fled the area the majority were absorbed and eventually integrated into the Iroquois. After the Iroquois secured the Toronto area several Iroquois settlement of the north shore of Lake Ontario were established the Seneca (one of the five Iroquois nations) established two settlements in present day Toronto Teiaiagon near the Humber River and Ganatsekwyagon near the Rouge River the two communities provided the Iroquois control of the north-south passage in Toronto. Roman Catholic missionaries visited the two settlements in the 1660s and 1670s. However by 1687 the two settlements were abandoned by the Seneca In the 17th century the area was a crucial point for travel with the Humber and Rouge River providing a shortcut to the upper Great Lakes These routes were known as the Toronto Passage The Mississaugas arrived in the late 17th century driving out the occupying Iroquois and settling along the Lake Ontario shore including the Port Credit area Early European settlement! The Resident Coordinator (RC) system co-ordinates all organizations of the United Nations system dealing with operational activities for development in the field the RC system aims to bring together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level Resident Coordinators who are funded appointed and managed by UNDP lead UN country teams in more than 130 countries and are the designated representatives of the Secretary-General for development operations Working closely with national governments Resident Coordinators and country teams advocate the interests and mandates of the UN drawing on the support and guidance of the entire UN family.It is now coordinated by the UNDG Controversies. Until 1763 most of Ontario was considered part of New France by French claim Rupert's Land defined as the drainage basin of Hudson Bay was claimed by Britain and included much of today's Northern Ontario the British defeated the armies of the French colony and its indigenous allies in the French and Indian War part of the Seven Years' War global conflict Concluding the war the peace treaty between the European powers known as the Treaty of Paris 1763 assigned almost all of France's possessions in North America to Britain including parts that would later become Ontario not already part of Rupert's Land Britain established the first Province of Quebec encompassing contemporary Quebec and southern Ontario After the American War of Independence the first reserves for First Nations were established These are situated at Six Nations (1784) Tyendinaga (1793) and Akwesasne (1795) Six Nations and Tyendinaga were established by the British for those indigenous groups who had fought on the side of the British and were expelled from the new United States Akwesasne was a pre-existing Mohawk community and its borders were formalized under the 1795 Jay Treaty In 1788 while part of the Province of Quebec southern Ontario was divided into four districts: Hesse Lunenburg Mecklenburg and Nassau in 1792 the four districts were renamed: Hesse became the Western District Lunenburg became the Eastern District Mecklenburg became the Midland District and Nassau became the Home District Counties were created within the districts By 1798 there were eight districts: Eastern Home Johnstown London Midland Newcastle Niagara and Western by 1826 there were eleven districts: Bathurst Eastern Gore Home Johnstown London Midland Newcastle Niagara Ottawa and Western by 1838 there were twenty districts: Bathurst Brock Colbourne Dalhousie Eastern Gore Home Huron Johnstown London Midland Newcastle Niagara Ottawa Prince Edward Simcoe Talbot Victoria Wellington and Western In 1849 the districts of southern Ontario were abolished by the Province of Canada and county governments took over certain municipal responsibilities the Province of Canada also began creating districts in sparsely populated Northern Ontario with the establishment of Algoma District and Nipissing District in 1858 When Canada was formed in 1867 its provinces were a relatively narrow strip in the southeast with vast territories in the interior it grew by adding British Columbia in 1871 P.E.I in 1873 the British Arctic Islands in 1880 and Newfoundland in 1949; meanwhile its provinces grew both in size and number at the expense of its territories Evolution of the borders of Ontario since Canadian Confederation in 1867 The borders of Ontario its new name in 1867 were provisionally expanded north and west When the Province of Canada was formed its borders were not entirely clear and Ontario claimed eventually to reach all the way to the Rocky Mountains and Arctic Ocean With Canada's acquisition of Rupert's Land Ontario was interested in clearly defining its borders especially since some of the new areas in which it was interested were rapidly growing After the federal government asked Ontario to pay for construction in the new disputed area the province asked for an elaboration on its limits and its boundary was moved north to the 51st parallel north The northern and western boundaries of Ontario were in dispute after Canadian Confederation Ontario's right to Northwestern Ontario was determined by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in 1884 and confirmed by the Canada (Ontario Boundary) Act 1889 of the Parliament of the United Kingdom by 1899 there were seven northern districts: Algoma Manitoulin Muskoka Nipissing Parry Sound Rainy River and Thunder Bay Four more northern districts were created between 1907 and 1912: Cochrane Kenora Sudbury and Timiskaming Demographics, Francis Libermann Catholic High School (Scarborough 1977 - Congregation of the Holy Spirit). English Separate Durham Catholic District School Board 1.2 Building materials Battle of the Thames 5 October 1813.
After a number of financially difficult seasons the St Patricks' ownership group seriously considered selling the team to C C Pyle for C$200,000 (equivalent to $2,932,000 in 2018) Pyle sought to move the team to Philadelphia. However Toronto Varsity Blues coach Conn Smythe put together a group of his own and made a $160,000 (equivalent to $2,345,000 in 2018) offer With the support of Bickell a St Pats shareholder Smythe persuaded Querrie to accept their bid arguing that civic pride was more important than money After taking control on February 14 1927 Smythe immediately renamed the team the Maple Leafs after the national symbol of Canada. He attributed his choice of a maple leaf for the logo to his experiences as a Canadian Army officer and prisoner of war during World War I Viewing the maple leaf as a "badge of courage" and a reminder of home Smythe decided to give the same name to his hockey team in honour of the many Canadian soldiers who wore it. However the team was not the first to use the name a Toronto minor-league baseball team had used the name "Maple Leafs" since 1895 Initial reports were that the team's colours were to be red and white, but the Leafs wore white sweaters with a green maple leaf for their first game on February 17 1927 on September 27 1927 it was announced that the Leafs had changed their colour scheme to blue and white. Although Smythe later stated he chose blue because it represents the Canadian skies and white to represent snow these colours were also used on his gravel and sand business' trucks the colour blue was also a colour historically associated with the City of Toronto the use of blue by top-level Toronto-based sports clubs began with the Argonaut Rowing Club in the 19th century later adopted by their football team the Toronto Argonauts in 1873 Opening of Maple Leaf Gardens (1930s)! ! 7.1 Federal politics Toronto Argonauts CFL Football BMO Field 1873 17 (last in 2017) Year Pop Baptists 16,411 Independent.